IVF stands for In Vitro Fertilization. It is one of the more widely known types of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART ). IVF works with the combination of medicines and surgical procedures to help sperm fertilize an egg and help the fertilized egg implant in uterus.
To make the eggs mature enough and ready to fertilization woman needs to take medication at first. And the doctor takes the eggs out of the body and mixes the eggs with sperms to fertilize. Pregnancy happens if any of the embryos implant in the lining of uterus.
IVF treatment has many steps and takes several months to complete the whole process. Some it works on the first try but many people need more than 1 try of IVF to get pregnant.
When do you need IVF treatment?
Infertility and genetically problems are the main reasons for IVF treatment. IVF treatment is more effective if infertility is been tried to be treated with medication, vaccination or any other suitable treatments. In the case of age of over 40 IVF is the first option without losing time.
Cost of IVF treatment: The IVF treatment cost may be varying from one couple to another. The most economical procedure collecting the eggs, create eggs and transferring. Freezing the embryo, genetically review and thinning the embryo tissue.
Who can have IVF treatment?
- Tube occlusion, tube bonding or tube damage
- Ovulation difficulties
- Premature ovarian deficiency
- Sperm reproduction and function
- Unexplained Infertility
- Genetically Issues
What are the risks of IVF?
- As a result of multiple pregnancy having premature birth and / or low weight birth
- Ovarium hyper stimulation syndrome
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Miscarriage due to age of over forty
- Needle injury during egg collection
Getting ready for IVF Treatment:
- Assessment of Ovarian Reserve: This procedure covers to find the quality and the number of the eggs are counting down after given basal hormone (2nd -3rd day). Follicle counting also needs to be done.
- Analysis of Semen: To do the sperm evaluation.
- Search of any underlining infection: Possibility of HIV or HCV (AIDS or Hepatitis) which may cause problem for embryo or baby.
- Examination of Endometrial Cavity (Uterine Cavity): To look for any complications or risks to insert the embryo inside the uterus.
Time details of IVF: In the 3rd day of menstrual circle eggs start to collect and in between 8-12 days and aftermath (3-5 days) need to do embryo transfer.
Step By step To IVF Treatment:
- Ovulation Induction: In order to have enough eggs, egg enlarger drugs given in the 3rd days of the menstrual circle.
- Over Stimulation Treatment: Synthetic hormones such as FSH and LH are given.
- Egg Maturation Treatment: Once the eggs are large enough hCG hormone is given.
- Preventing the eggs to split prematurely: The medications to prevent the eggs to split before egg collection date.
- Preparing the Endometrium: To give medications (progesterone hormone) to prepare the endometrium line in order to nest and settle the injected eggs.
- Egg Collection: After 36 hours of given hCG Hormone or Maturation treatment the doctor starts collecting the eggs.
- The procedure takes place under local or general anaesthesia
- Transvaginal ultrasound helps the doctor access to reach the eggs with collecting needle
- Depending on the quality of the eggs the assessment ends in 5-20 minutes
- Possible bleeding risk check regularly
- Collected eggs get into a laboratory structured like a ‘’ growing’’ plate and matured eggs mixed up with sperms to fertilize and create embryo.
- Sperm Collection: Masturbation is the common way of collecting the sperm in clinic. Sperm is separated from the semen under laboratory conditions.
- Fertilisation: In this stage the eggs and the sperms are mixed and left alone for fertilization to occur in a special medium temperature.
- Embryo Transfer: Embryo transferrin take place after 2 or 6 days of egg collection. And it involves:
- No need for anaesthesia as the process is painless
- The urinary bag must be full to see endometrium
- The doctor can access to the endometrium with a thin catheter by passing vagina and uterus entry
- The doctor can take more than one embryo inside the body
- Following the whole procedure healthy embryo implantation occurs in 6 till 10 days.
Possible Side Effects:
- Too little vaginal staining or discharge after cleaning the cervix
- Breast tenderness due to an increase in estrogenic level
- Mild bloating
- Mild cramping
If you have any of these effects on a level which you struggle to deal with, please do contact with your doctor.
The success rate with IVF Treatment:
Following the embryo transfer (12-14 days later) pregnancy test can be done and if the test is positive the doctor can start the pregnancy follow up. If the test is negative progesterone treatment is stopped. In a week time woman start having her menstruation and the next stage to consider for second IVF treatment frozen embryo transfer.
The success rate is depending on many factors which are
- Age of woman: As in young age an advantage for pregnancy it is equally risky for woman older than 40 and success rate is lower for IVF.
- Embryo’s stage: The possibility of getting pregnant rate gets higher if the embryo’s development occurs during the transferring the embryo.
- Previous pregnancies: Women who has previous pregnancies have more chance to get successful result with IVF treatment.
- Infertility Reasons: For instance, IVF treatment success rate is higher with a healthy egg then unexplained endometriosis complication.
- Lifestyle: Personal or social habits like smoking, alcohol, obesity, excessive alcohol intake can reduce the chance of IVF success rate.
What Difference can we offer you with IVF Treatment in our Antalya clinic?
Our crucial view point is that ‘’ The Honesty is The Best Policy’’ which we will not keep your hopes and financial costs on high if we think that you and your partner unfortunately you may not have an opportunity of having baby at all with IVF Treatment!
We will discuss every approach that may give you a chance of having baby!
You and your partner both have a thorough medical check-up in your earliest to clear any doubts or questions in mind.
At first, we will be looking into the reasons behind the infertility. Depends on the cause we would start the treatment straight away.
We will tell you if vaccination or IVF treatment is suitable for you.
We know that it is not only financially demanding stage it is also and mostly emotionally challenging process for the couples.
Our experienced team would be on hand to meet with your expectations as much as possible and clarify any question that you may have in mind.